Top Ten Deadliest Insects: Part One
Throughout history, insects have bothered humans . Some bugs are even dangerous to humans and other animals. This is part one of a series of the top ten deadliest insects. Here is 10 through 6:
- 10. Hemiptera – Hemiptera are also known as “kissing bugs” as they have long “sucking” mouthparts that looks like tubes, which they use to feed on blood of larger animals. These are not ticks or mosquitoes. These bugs transmit Chagas disease, which can cause symptoms that can last over 20 years. The chronic disease can become fatal.
- 9. Asian/Giant Japanese Hornet – These hornets can be as long as 3 inches when fully grown. These hornets can take on a whole hive of honeybees in as group of 20-30. These hornets are also deadly to humans as they have a high concentration of Acetylcholine (a normal pain-causing chemical in stinging insects), their venom has enzymes that dissolve human tissues, the venom produces chemicals that attract more hornets to attack, and unlike bees, it can attack repeatedly with its stinger.
- 8. African Ants – A single colony of African ants can contain up to 20 million ants. When they look for food, they go through the African countryside devastating everything in its path. They can do thousands of dollars of damage to African crops each year.
- 7. Wasps – Yellow jackets and hornets are in the same class as wasps. However, wasps will generally be terrestrial, will usually go after a specific parasite or pest to prey on. They do not usually attack humans unless their territory is being threatened. Humans can die from a single wasp sting if they are allergic.
- 6. Locusts – Locusts are a subfamily of grasshopper and they are constantly destroying plants and crops. They do not directly kill off humans, but they can indirectly kill them by contributing to starvation. however they can destroy food sources for large stretches of land, wreaking havoc on farmland and crops. The Bible referenced the locusts as the eighth Plague of Egypt. A swarm can consist of over a thousand insects and they can strip thousands of acres of cropland each year.
Are you suffering an infestation from one of these insects or any insects that are bugging you?Call Cole Pest Control today at (816) 875-9310!